- Place the potatoes in a pan of salted water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 12-15 mins until tender. Drain and leave to steam-dry for 5 minutes before mashing (for a firm fishcake it’s important that you let the potatoes dry out a bit).
- Season the salmon fillets and loosely wrap in tin foil. Place on a baking tray and cook for 20 minutes in pre-heated oven (180°c fan).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before removing the skin and flaking the salmon.
- Place the potatoes in a bowl with the watercress, lemon zest, juice and capers. Season and mix together.
- Fold the salmon into the potato mix taking care not to break the salmon up too much.
- Divide the mix into 4 balls and on a floured work top. Shape into fishcakes. Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
- Heat a frying pan and add 2 tbsp oil. Dust the fishcakes with a little four and gently place in the frying pan.
- Cook for 3 – 4 minutes on each side, or until warmed through (if the pan starts to look a little dry add a touch more oil).
- Serve with tartare sauce.
Making your own chips
Simply cut the potatoes into chips, season with salt & pepper and tumble in olive oil. Spread the potatoes out over a greaseproof paper lined baking tray and cook (180ºC fan oven) for about 30 minutes or until cooked and coloured.