- Bring a large (tall) sauce pan of water to the boil and then reduce to a simmer.( If you like, add a splash of vinegar to the water – it adds a slight acidity to the eggs)
- Heat a frying pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil over a high heat, add the asparagus the turn the heat down to medium. Season the asparagus with salt & pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes depending on the thickness of the asparagus, turning occasionally until nicely coloured. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Crack an egg into a cup or small container and gently add to the simmering water – repeat with the second egg. Cook for 2 – 4 minutes depending on how soft you like your eggs. When ready remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain the eggs on a sheet of kitchen paper.
- While the eggs are cooking heat the butter in the frying pan and add the spinach. Season lightly and sauté the spinach for a minute or two until wilted.
- Divide the spinach onto two plates, place the asparagus on top of the spinach and top with a poached egg.
- Take 2 slices of smoked salmon and place next to the egg.
For a little extra indulgence
Why not buy or better still make your own hollandaise which goes perfectly with smoked salmon and eggs.